Response to Brendan's Blog (3/2/2018)
Brendan, I loved what you had to say about the mural. I also was fascinated by each character, and applaud Rivera for putting meticulous effort into making the scene exactly right. The entirety of Mexican history, as Rivera interpreted it, was present, from the conquest, to Madero. I thought your point about the Mexican flag was interesting. I figured Rivera based the mural's color scheme on the flag, but now that I know the flag didn't come until later, it really got me thinking. While I don't know that this mural influenced the flag, I do believe that it could have happened. At the time, this work had such potency and affected so many Mexicans that it quickly came to define and in some instances redefine the nation. I also think that the Last Supper style was a purposeful choice. It strongly resembles the Last Supper in terms of balance and how the figures are staged, all on one side. Overall I thought your analysis of this mural was spot on, and it really got me thinking.
Comments
Post a Comment