Response to Becky's Blog (3/15/2018)
Becky I love this post! This is exactly what the world needs to hear right now. There are too many political leaders who are scared of progress and at times even deny basic human rights because of money. Your example about the NRA is so powerful and relevant right now. I know Florida congressman Marco Rubio was pivotal in ensuring gun control legislation DID NOT pass in Florida, the very state where Parkland occurred. Why would a level headed lawmaker deny protection to his own state? As it turns out, he was given around $6 million during his last campaign by the NRA. I think corruption in politics and campaign finance are two of the biggest issues we are facing today. It's not about human decency anymore; it's all about money. Candidates will do anything they can to be funded by big business and special interest groups, often at the expense of the people, or in this case, school children. It's one thing to acknowledge a problem and another to present a solution, and while I understand this is a huge problem in politics today, I'm not sure how to address it. Money is not free speech, and companies should not be able to spend it freely on campaigns. Thanks for letting me go on a mini-rant. I was channeling my inner Emma.
-J
-J
Comments
Post a Comment